Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What is wrong with society?

When did we just give up on what we put into our bodies? When did we, as a nation, decide it is just okay to advertise, solicit, promote, and push crappy food? I just saw an advertisement on the boob tube for Wendy's. I watched in complete disbelief and disgust that they are now offering a "VALUE" meal for the low low price of $2.99. This comes complete with a fat loaded burger on a wheat filled bun, a medium sugary drink, and an order of fries! WOW...thank you so much Wendy's for offering a crap meal for such a value. What would we possibly do without you offering all of us food that has made our nation fat, unhealthy, and full of food issues.
I know I sound like a complete preacher here, and I admit that at one point in my past life, I used to be one of those people that would've seen this deal as a VALUE! Amazing to me how my view has changed. I now see this deal as the worst thing any fast food restaurant could ever offer it's patrons.
Instead of charging less for your unhealthy food, you should do all of us a favor and raise your prices so only the elite consumers can afford your product. This way, when their arteries fill up with you fat, when they stroke out, and when they gain an obscene amount of weight and dependency on your crap food, they'll be able to afford the doctor and hospital bills to cure their ailments. Spare the rest of us your "VALUE" meals and call them what they actually are..."High sugar, high fat, high calorie, gluten filled slop"!
Back to my complaint...I can drive my car through the drive-thru window at Wendy's twice a day, and spend less then I do on healthy food. I am on a budget, and it's difficult to buy fresh fruit and veggies for my family, but I do. I find it insulting that buying the food I NEED to buy for my family is so expensive, and Wendy’s can offer slop food at deep discounted prices. What is wrong with this picture? It's not like I'm out buying crazy food. I'm buying healthy choices for my family, which should be the norm! It's like our society sees fresh fruit/veggies, lean meat, natural choices as being the "Alternative" way to eat. Again, I'm buying the food that my kids need to grow and be healthy. I'm doing the responsible thing by watching my children's fat intake. Watching the snacks and calories on a daily basis. Yet, I end up paying out the nose for being responsible. I just don't get it.

It's official that I am now that crazy activist Mother on a mission to keep her kids healthy!

That's it for now...Have a great gluten free and HEALTHY night!

Susan :)
The Celiac Shack ~ Making gluten free fun one day at a time!

1 comment:

Lydell Photo said...

agree totally and....when did we become people who want to eat this stuff? We grew up with it in an era when we didnt know ...like cigarettes. So we baby boomers grew up on it and because we are busy baby boomers "what was good enough for us is good enough for our kids" cause after all who has time to cook or care. Thank God there are those who are reading labels and saying NO Thank you! Not for my family! My kids are grown now and I had my bouts of sanity followed by bouts of insanity because it was just easier. Shame on me! Now that I have had the wall come tumbling down on me and know what it feels like to be trapped in a body of pain and regret I want to help my kids change their ways. Fortunately for me they are sane and intelligent enough to hear what i am saying...my husband is coming along too. ; D
But I feel ya girl!!!