Friday, September 18, 2009

Celiac Disease & Psoriasis


Aloha!


I've been doing a lot of reading on the connection between psoriasis and celiac diease/gluten intolerance. I have found many articles stating that there is a connection between the two. I have suffered from psoriasis for about 15 years, and have been diagnosed with sporadic arthritis for the past two years. I've been on Humira injections for my joint pain and inflammation, but I have high hopes that a gluten free diet will allow me to go off my injectables and finally lead a "normal" life without medications.


I will keep updating my findings on the links between psoriasis and celiac, but for now, I'd like to share a list of signs, symptoms, associated disorders and typical misdiagnoses of CeliacDisease:


Abdominal pain (Naspghan pediatric guidelines)Addison's Disease (1, 2, 3)Alopecia
Anemia (
Grisolano, SW)Anorexia (Naspghan pediatric guidelines)Apthous ulcers ie, mouth soresArthritis (Stagi S)ArthropathyAtaxia (Hadjivassiliou, Hadjivassiliou)Atrial Fibrillation (Candelli M)Cardiomyopathy (Goel,NK)Constipation (Naspghan pediatric guidelines)Crohn's Disease (Tursi A)Delayed Puberty (Naspghan pediatric guidelines)Depression (Pynnonen P)Dental Enamel Defects (Aine L)Dermatitis HerpetiformisDiabetes, Type 1 (Mahumd F, Picarelli)DiarrheaDown's SyndromeElevated liver enzymes (hypertransaminasemia) (Duggan) EpilepsyGraves DiseaseGrowth Hormone Deficiency (Salardi S)Hair loss (not male pattern baldness)Heart Problems (Cardiomyopathy, Myocarditis, Ventricular Arrythmia)HepatitisHives (urticaria) (Caminiti, Meneghetti)Hashimoto's ThyroiditisHyposplenism (ie, poor function of spleen increasing risk of infection) (Di Sabatino)Hypertransaminasemia (ie, elevated liver enzymes)Infertility, male or femaleIrritabilityIrritable Bowel SyndromeKawasaki Disease (Stagi)Lactose Intolerance (Ojetti)Lupus (Hadjivassiliou)LymphomaMigraines (Gabrielli)MyelopathyMyocarditis (Frustaci)Multiple SclerosisNystagmus (Mohn A)OsteopeniaOsteoporosis (1)Pancreatitis (1, 2 3)Peripheral NeuropathyPrimary Biliary CirrhosisPsoriasisPulmonary (lung) inflammation (Brightling)RefluxSchizophrenia (Kalaydjian)SeizuresShort Stature (Salardi S)Sjogren's Syndrome (Luft)Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction, aka papillary stenosis (Patel RS)SteatorrheaThyroid Disease, AutoimmuneTurner SyndromeVentricular Arrythmia (Frustaci) Vertigo (Mohn A)VomitingWeight Loss (unintentional)Weight Gain (from increased appetite)Williams Syndrome


As you can see, the list is extensive. I believe that so many of these symptoms can be alleviated from a gluten free diet. (My personal opinion, and you should always check with your Dr. for any medical suggestions or advice).


I will keep everyone posted as I find new studies and information.

Wishing you a happy gluten free day!

The Celiac Shack ~ Making gluten free fun one day at a time!




No comments: