Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Kids Corner

Gluten-Free Play Dough




If you are like most people, you would never imagine that play dough could possibly ever hurt a child. Unfortunately that's not the case when it comes to our gluten-sensitive kids. It's full of gluten that is harmful to children with gluten intolerances. Once I found this out, I quickly donated my cupboard full to our neighbors. What to do now? The kids love it and I have all these darn plastic accessories with nothing to smash through them. I soon found out that there were a couple of options. The first option was to go out and buy some gluten free play dough from a store. I have included two links if you would like to explore this option. Aroma Dough & Colorations. They look like great products, but I chose a more cost effective measure for the "Jones Gang". I did a search on the web and found a recipe that's so easy, it's crazy! So give the following a whirl. I think you'll find out that the kids will never know the difference. Enjoy!

Homemade Gluten Free Play Dough Recipe


Ingredients:
•1/2 cup rice flour
•1/2 cup corn starch
•1/2 cup salt
•2 tsp cream of tarter
•1 cup water
•1 tsp cooking oil
•Food coloring, if desired
Preparation:


Mix ingredients. Cook and stir on low heat for 3 minutes or until mixture forms a ball. Cool completely before storing in a sealable plastic bag.


Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes

Regards,
The Celiac Shack

No comments: